Monday, September 21, 2009

Weekend Update

Alas, it's Monday again. This past weekend just seemed to fly. Why is that?

Saturday I attended my monthly RWA land chapter meeting. The Florida Panhandle Romance Writers celebrated our one year anniversary! Usually we meet at the local library branch, but the room we use was already taken, so we met at Julie's Place, a local restaurant. We're spoiled beyond spoiled now, because I think we're going to start meeting there from now on. We had our own little room and full service (coffee, lunch, etc..) Plus, it's right off I-10 so it's perfect for our out-of-town members. I presented the afternoon workshop- Stop Plodding and Start Plotting! (cute title, huh? Mel came up with that). I think it went over really well, and I might think about adding to it to maybe one day try to present it at Nationals.

While the meeting was taking place, my beloved Charlie was at the animal hospital recovering from double ear surgery. He had two hematomas removed. Charlie is 11 years old and weighs over a 100 lbs, which makes him really old in dog years. He's such a trooper though. I'm taking him back to the vet today for a bandage change. The stitches don't come out for 21 days though. Ouch. I just hope I can keep him from messing with it too much. I'm calling him Civil War Charlie now. This picture is all the explanation you need for that. At the bottom of the pic you might see a small brown body (it sort of blends into the wooden floor). That belongs to Truffles, my 8 month old dachshund. Unfortunately, she's way too fascinated with Charlie's bandages. It's a chore to keep her from trying to help him take them off.






Saturday night ended with a bang when the Noles beat 7th ranked BYU in their own home stadium. What a game! It was like the good ol' days again. I'm really hoping this is a trend that will continue for the rest of football season.


Sunday evening I had my L&D book club meeting at Bonefish Grill. A super time was had by all. The book of the month was The Time Traveler's Wife, which we had hoped to all watch at the movies together (so we could compare the movie version to the book version). Unfortunately, we missed the movie by 2 days. What can I say? We are irony's bitch. Still, we all agreed it was a super book, even if there were parts that were a bit disturbing to some of us. Next month, we were going to read Jane Austen's Emma, but I persuaded the group to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies instead. I've heard a lot of contradictory things about this book and can't wait to get my hands on it (rubbing palms eagerly!)

4 comments:

The Girl You Used to Know said...

"Irony's bitch" I'm a little turned on by that.

Maria Geraci said...

I knew you would be...

Marilyn Brant said...

Cannot wait to hear your thoughts on P&P&Z!!! Will anxiously await your post, no doubt full of "zombie action" and the resulting mayhem ;).

Lucy said...

Poor Charlie! I can't imagine trying to keep stitches in for 21 days! Bless his heart.

I loved The Time Travelers' Wife. I saw the movie too. It stayed pretty true to the book. Of course they couldn't get everything in to the movie but what they did was mostly true to the book (a few things were changed but didn't really alter the impact). I liked it a lot but wondered how people who hadn't read the book (and didn't know exactly how the time traveling worked) would follow what was going on.

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara