Thursday, July 07, 2011

Writing Dialogue


Garrett Breedlove: I like the lights on.
Aurora Greenway: Then go home and turn them on.
Terms of Endearment

That exchange (between Shirley MacLaine and Jack Nicholson) is one the best bedroom lines ever. I want to write awesome dialogue just like that. And I want to write a male character whose last name is Breedlove, because, honestly, how great is that?

I took a break from my long wip (The Ugly Girlfriend) to finish up a project that was due July 1. It's a short story titled, Noche Buena, and like Garrett and Aurora, the main characters are a little older (late forties). I had no idea how hard it was to write a story and keep the word count at under 8000. No idea whatsoever. But I do now!

No comments:

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara