Monday, August 07, 2006

How writing is like housework

I've tried it before, but I've failed miserably. But this time, I'm determined to just write through the rough draft. You know, the vomit draft? The one you just spew on paper and not look back at? You one you don't edit as you write?

Let me tell you, it's a lot harder than I thought. I SO want to go back and edit. For me, that's the fun part of writing. Making the story better. Polishing it up until it shines. But intellectually, I know that it's a big waste of time, because it's not until I finish the story, that I really know my story and my characters. And it's at that point, that the edits really make the most impact. And since one of my goals is to write faster, then editing right now for me is just a waste of time. Sort of like setting out to clean the whole house, but never getting out of the kitchen because you keep finding a new crumb on the floor to sweep. So I'm trying to ignore the crumbs and just move on to the next room... or rather the next chapter.

2 comments:

The Girl You Used to Know said...

you and me both, girl.

Crumbs? I don't see no stinkin' crumbs!

Ellen said...

Great analogy!

I agree with Mel, turn a blind eye to the crumbs you've missed until you've made a general sweep through the house. LOL. I'm trying that too--it's hard, but more effective for getting the damn story written!

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara