Thursday, September 11, 2008

Project Ugly

Thanks to Loinfruit (eldest daughter) and a little help from Mel, Kristen and Kiwana, for the past 2 seasons, I've been totally hooked on Project Runway. Last night's challenge was a fun one. Outed designers from this season came back to pair up with the remaining contestants to come up with an Avant-garde look inspired by an astrological sign.



Since I'm a fashion idiot I had to go look up the phrase. I mean, I sort of knew what it meant, but couldn't really put it into words. Here's what wikipedia had to say:

Avant-garde (pronounced [avɑ̃gaʁd] in French) means "advance guard" or "vanguard".[1] The adjective form is used in English, to refer to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics.
Avant-garde represents a pushing of the boundaries of what is accepted as the
norm or the status quo, primarily in the cultural realm.


Notice that nowhere in that definition is the word UGLY mentioned. Of course, ugly is in the eye of the beholder. But really, people, take a look at this:




The outfit on the left was designed by Blayne, who went home last night.


The stunner on the right was Kenley's creation. She should have gone home last night too, but Terri, who's just a tad more irritating than Kenley got the boot. I think the judges were tired of her attitude. I think this was supposed to represent Aquiruis? But I don't get it.


















Jerell was the winner last night, although I wasn't crazy about this design.








These were my personal faves.
Leanne on the left, who, I personally find a little wimpy in personality, but her designs are really growing on me. I think the only reason she didn't win is because she's won the past 2 challenges. But as a Scorpio, I found this design to be brilliantly dead on.


Same with Korto. I LOVE this look on the right. Korto is by far, the most consistent designer in my opinion. Other than one dud look this season, the rest of her stuff has been dead on.

7 comments:

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Maria, I agree with you about Kenley and Terri. I think that Terri pissed off the judges with her attitude about working with Keith. Come on, we all have to work with people we can't stand. She should have just sucked it up and pretended to listen to him. She could have completely disarmed him by being charming to him but she didn't. And Kenley's outfit, got that thing was ugly up and down and all the way around.

Maria Geraci said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for stopping by. I think my favorite judge comment was Michael Kors telling Blayne that his outfit was "pooping fabric":)

Louisa Edwards said...

I'm a Scorpio too, and I'd totally wear that hot little red number.

Maria Geraci said...

Yeah, I really think Leanne could be in the finals.

Kristen Painter said...

See I loved Joe's dress that was all about fire. I would totally wear his dress.

"Pooping fabric" was perhaps the best comment of the entire season to date. Oh, that rapscallion Michael Kors! If only he would just send me his collections instead of making me buy them...

Maria Geraci said...

Yes, Joe's dress was awesome too.

Rapscallion... Jimenez like that word. Will let that marinate in Jiminez's head a while.

Unknown said...

I think you're right and I was glad to see Terri go she was so unpleasant and Keith with his passive aggressive 'tude made for a match made in heaven :)

I thought Jo's dress was lovely too-surprisingly so!

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara