Monday, March 08, 2010

Oscars!

I love love love love movies and I love watching the Oscars. It's like being a kid again and getting to crash your parent's grown up party for a few minutes- a sneak peek into a glitzy glamorous world.

I'm ashamed to say that this year for the first time ever I saw NONE of the nominated films. This is partly due to the fact that I've been under deadline since October and most of the films nominated all come out in one swoop drop at the end of the year, so I have some catching up to do.

I loved the duo hosting gig done by Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin (It's Complicated was the one and only film I saw during the holiday season. It was cute and uncomplicated, so it was a pleasant no-brainer).

Highlights of the night? Gerard Butler. Yummy. Sandra Bullock looked beautiful. Penelope Cruz did too.

Films I most want to watch after seeing the show: Nine, The Hurt Locker, Up in the Air, Precious.

Films I least want to watch after seeing the show: Avatar, The Blind Side (although I'm sure I will probably watch them both.)

I've heard Avatar is so-so from almost everyone who's seen it (including my kids). The Blind Side, on the other hand I've heard is awesome. But really, who did the trailer for that movie? Because it's the awful trailer that puts the movie further down my to-be-seen list.
unknown voice: You're changing that boy's life."
Sandra Bullock: "No, he's changing mine."
Cringe worthy dialogue to be sure. The movie has to be better than than, though. Right?

One last thing. Can someone in charge of the Oscars please start them a little earlier? I finally went to bed at 11:30 and they weren't even close to coming to the big ones. I set my DVR with the 30 minute extra time thing and it still cut off at Best Actor. Grrr....

4 comments:

Lucy said...

I loved The Blind Side - it is an awesome movie.

After last night I want to see Up in the Air and Nine too. I don't think I could stomach The Hurt Locker and Precious. I imagine they're both good but I just don't think I could watch them.

As for Avatar, never had any desire and don't really feel like I'm missing anything - but that's just me.

And yeah, Steve and Alec did a good job. :o)

Marilyn Brant said...

I laughed aloud at the part where Tina Fey and Robert Downey, Jr. announced the best screenplay :). I haven't seen any of the nominated films yet either, so don't feel bad!

Tanashia said...

Maria,
I LOVED the Blind Side! Precious was ok to me. I did read the book first and couldn't help but compare the two. I don't think Monique nor Gabby had Oscar worthy performances! Just my opinion. I still want to see Avatar for it's special effects. Tanashia

Maria Geraci said...

Yes, I know I'm going to love The Blind Side. I have to! Just got to get around to seeing it!! And get over Sandra Bullock's awful looking hair! LOL.

Marilyn, I loved the banter b/t RD jr and Tina too. They were the best duo presenters of the night!

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara