Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Would I do it again?

Gina announced on the American Title 2 loop the other day that Dorchester Publishing is now calling for entries for the American Title 3 contest, which really brings home the fact that American Title 2 is over. Almost, that is (The winner of AT 2 is still to be announced during the Romantic Times Convention in May taking place in Daytona Beach).

The news made me a little melancholy. Has a whole year gone by already? And why does time seem to move faster as I get older? And more importantly, knowing what I know now, would I enter AT 2 again?

I can answer that last question with an enthusiastic YES.

Now, I admit, there are times when I went a little wacko with this contest, which my wonderful friend and cp, Mel can attest to . Remember Mel, on pain of death you can never repeat anything I said during the time period I now jokingly refer to as "those crazy 48 hours". But other than that, I can absolutely, positively say the contest was one of the most positive experiences of my life.

Some of what I learned:

I received validation as a writer. I thought I had a pretty good story, and I thought I was getting "there", but having a publishing company think my ms was good enough to publish feels pretty damn good.

I learned all about deadlines. When people at RT say ASAP, they mean yesterday :))

I REALLY got to know my story. Having to write character sketchs on your hero and heroine in less than 75 words can make you get awful cozy with your own characters. Oh, and can you send that to NY ASAP, please?

I had a great excuse to tell people that I'm a writer. A lot of people already knew, but a lot didn't.

I learned tons about self-promotion. This was painful for me at first, and it's still not my cup of tea, but I'm getting there...

I got this great blog :))

I got to know 10 of the nicest, most supportive writers ever--my fellow American Title 2 finalists.

And last but certainly not least, I learned that my friends rock, which I knew, but I truly didn't expect the level of support I received from friends and family. And that, made even "those crazy 48 hours" worth it.

So for those of you thinking about entering AT 3, I say go for it! You never know what great things just might be in store for you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read that AT3 was gearing up, and considered entering with TM. Still considering. :)

Ellen said...

Maria, it was awesome to see your story (and the other RWAO ladies' entries)in the running.

From what you've said, it seems to have enriched your writing life in so many ways--I'm not surprised you'd embrace it again. What a great opportunity!

The Girl You Used to Know said...

Remember Mel, on pain of death you can never repeat anything I said during the time period I now jokingly refer to as "those crazy 48 hours".

M.L.A.S.

Promise.

Maria Geraci said...

Jan,

you should definitely enter. What do you have to lose???

Monica Burns said...

Good Job Maria...just because you didn't win, doesn't mean you didn't win. You just didn't get this particular bone. BUT, you did land a FANTASTIC agent. *wink*

Maria Geraci said...

Definitely! Deidre is the best!

Unknown said...

I think it sounds like a great oportunity to get noticed and get really geared up about the professional demands of publishing. If I could, I probably would!
But I can't

Janice Lynn said...

Maria, good for you! You were an awesome finalist--all the finalists this year were totally fabulous! I loved reading the entries each round!

Good luck to those of you who decide to enter...it really, really can happen even when you don't believe it possible---I know. :)

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara