Sunday, May 25, 2008

There will be Blood all right


Mine. Because I almost tore my hair out watching this movie. In my quest to catch up on watching the "best" movies of last year, I ordered There Will Be Blood on pay-per-view yesterday. What a waste of $4.99.

I didn't get it. I mean, I got it. But really, 8 Academy Award nominations?? I don't have a problem with Daniel Day Lewis winning Best Actor. As far as I'm concerned Daniel Day Lewis could recite the yellow pages and it would be Oscar worthy. And he deserves it for this film, because his performance is the only good thing about it. But honestly, Best Picture of the Year?


I've never read the Upton Sinclair novel Oil! that the film is based on. Nor do I have any wish to after watching the screen version. It's not only depressing and overly long, but there's something about it that didn't gel for me. Part of it was the lack of dialogue in a lot of the film. And then there was the very distracting sound track. Mike Geraci commented that the music was weird, and I had to agree with him. To be fair, the cinematography was beautiful, but I have no desire to ever see another set of badly stained teeth or another head of greasy hair. Ever.


The best part of the flick, was that both Mike Geraci and I got to sit down for 2 and some hours (we're remodeling our hall bathroom), but then anything would have been a nice break after stripping wallpaper all morning. And... I have to say that after almost 23 years of marriage, it's nice to discover something new about your husband. I had absolutely NO idea that Mike Geraci knew so much about drilling oil. He had this very scientific explanation for everything that happened on screen. At first, I was suspicious, like ,"C'mon, you've seen this movie before!" and he was like, "No, I haven't. I would have killed myself if I'd seen this twice."
LOL. Who knew? My husband, the oil expert.


So far, I've seen Juno, Atonement, and now this crap. 2 more Academy Award flicks to go:)

4 comments:

Lucy said...

Juno is on my weekend plans. Good to know that There Will Be Blood shouldn't be. Sorry you had to go through that. :-)

Maria Geraci said...

Juno is a wonderful movie. Enjoy!

The Girl You Used to Know said...

Fishdog told me I would hate it. Then he told me how beautiful the first 20 minutes of the movie were and how awesome it was that it was just scenery. No dialogue.

Um. yeah. I would HATE THAT. 20 minutes of just scenery and dude on a horse? No. thank. You.

Maria Geraci said...

Yeah, although actually, the first 20 minutes weren't so bad compared to the rest of the movie;)

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara