Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Writing with Authenticity


I've been thinking about this a lot lately and what it means. My new wip (The Ugly Girlfriend) has taken me places I've never been before and I don't just mean location. Up till now, I've shied away from writing characters that I don't have some kind of first hand knowledge of.

For instance, in Boyfriend of the Month, my protagonist, Grace, is half Cuban. Well, I'm all Cuban, so that was easy. I've read Cuban characters in novels before that didn't feel authentic to me. It's like they threw in a generic Hispanic character and called them Cuban when they felt more Puerto Rican (yes, there is a difference) or Mexican (and yes, there is a difference again).

So I'm entering new territory and it's exciting and scary at the same time.
I can only hope I do my characters justice.

Back to writing now!

Oh, and check out my guest post over at Sniffly Kitty's blog. It's about falling in love with your novel and it's part of the month long Loving the Reviews Challenge!

No comments:

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara