Thursday, January 12, 2006

On Writing


So, I'm not exactly Stephen King, but I do have a few things to say about writing. Number one being, if you're too busy answering posts and playing on the Internet, then you're NOT WRITING. I complained to my husband the other day that I haven't had enough time to write lately. His response: "Really? You were on the computer all day yesterday. What were you doing?"

I couldn't answer him. I know what I was doing. But I didn't want to admit that I've become an internet junkie. I went to my Yahoo! loops directory and discovered that I'm on 23 loops. Yes. 23. Now some of these loops are inactive and some I have to receive individual emails to keep me current on my RWA Online duties. And then of course, there's my Bunco loop. Can't miss any of those messages! And my American Title loop. Gotta have that one. But the majority of those 23 loops are writing related. And while they offer wonderful advice and keep me current, I've decided to go No Mail on them. Keeping current on the latest in the industry is great, but if you're not producing anything to GET you in the industry, then it's time to prioritize.

Of course, this No Internet thing does not apply to blogging :)) I'll still check out all my favorite blogs, but I'm going to limit it to one sweep daily. That's it.

Okay, now on to some writing.

PS. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it. I promise, it's not scary!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Somewhere, in a box, is On Writing. I should find it, dust it off and reread it.

Like you, too many loops and 85% of them are no mail and really not missed.

Happy writing and good luck with AT2.

Maria Geraci said...

Thanks, K!

Ellen said...

I have the same problem--internet addiction. I had to go no mail on a couple loops too. The blogs...only one sweep a day? Argh! You're right. I know you're right. :)

King's On Writing--many published authors have read and highly recommend this book. I keep meaning to buy it. Next trip to B & N.

Maria Geraci said...

I found "On Writing" to be one of the best industry books I've read. It's got great advice in it, yet it was also a great read even if you aren't writing. My college age daughter had to read it in high school English class and she liked it as well.

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara