Wednesday, October 11, 2006

ER Scare

I had just settled into work the other night when I get a call from Mike Geraci. That, in itself, is a little scary. In the 21 years we've been married, I can probably count the number of times my husband has called me at work on one hand.

Mike: Hey (said weakly)
Me: Oh my God, what's wrong?
Mike: (long pause) I'm in an ambulance. They're taking me to the ER.
Me: What happened? Were you in a wreck? (breathing a sigh of relief. If he was in a wreck, then it must not be too bad if he can talk on the phone, right?)
Mike: No, I just got a little dizzy and they're bringing me in.

Translation: His blood pressure was sky high and he almost passed out.

Now, my husband has never been diagnosed with high blood pressure. But, he also hasn't been to the doctor in the past year. He's one of those men who only goes to the doctor when he's on his death bed. So apparently, his BP has been creeping up and now it's slapped him in the face. The fact that he drinks a pot of coffee a day, is about 30 lbs overweight, and runs 5 miles one day, then does nothing for 2 weeks. has finally caught up to him. Not to mention all those cigars he smokes on the golf course. And except for the cigars and the pot of coffee (I'm just a half a pot a day girl) I'm guilty of all the above and more.

So, Mike's little ER scare has been a big wake up call to us both. We aren't as young as we used to be. We have 3 kids, a huge mortgage payment and college and braces... and you get the rest.

Time for the Geracis to make some big lifestyle changes.

PS. The only bright note in the ER visit was that, luckily, I had a book with me! (I keep the current book I'm reading in my bag at all times, cuz, you just never know) Anyhoo, I finished "Ex and Single Girl" and I loved it! After Mike had been given all these drugs, he went to sleep for about 3 hours while we waited for test results to come back, and I think I would have gone crazy if it wasn't for having something great to read. Proving yet again, that romance writers do make a difference in the world, right?

14 comments:

Kristen Painter said...

I'm glad your hubby is okay! My DH and I have pretty much come to this conclusion ourselves recently - the whole "we aren't as young as we used to be" deal.

It's not pretty, but it needs to be dealt with. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he's okay :)

Ellen said...

Very frightening. Thank goodness he's okay. :)

We both have high BP too -- dh takes little pills and I need to get more serious about diet and exercise.

Good luck with your lifestyle changes. *thumbs up*

Lucy said...

I'm glad your husband is okay. That would be scary.

And glad you liked Ex and the Single Girl - I had really liked it. I've read The Frog Prince too so you'll have to let me know what you think. :o)

Maria Geraci said...

Thanks, everyone, for all the well wishes! Mike is doing much better (despite the fact that he hasn't had coffee in 2 days!)

Unknown said...

So glad Mr G is okay-that's scarey though.
Mr Kate is as fit as a fiddle. I'm the lazy one in our house...

Unknown said...

Geez! That must have freaked you out. On the other hand, my hubby calls me about 50 times a day and he works in the other room.

The Girl You Used to Know said...

I'm so glad he's okay. He sounded awful peppy on the phone, so it sounds like the medication is working. LOL

KimAmburn said...

I'm so glad he's okay! Good luck with the lifestyle changes - it's hard to do but I know ya'll can do it!

Anonymous said...

Only 3 hours in our ER?? That must be some kind of record! J/K. All joking aside, I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious, and now maybe y'all can help each other make positive changes. Go Team Geraci!!

Maria Geraci said...

3 hours in our ER? Erin, have you lost your mind?

Unfortunately, we were in the ER for over 7 hours. The 3 hours I read was when Mike was sleeping:) But, I have to hand it our ER. They were all great. Especially our nurse, Michelle. I'm going to have to hunt her down and do something nice for her:))

Zinnia said...

I hope all turns out well.

I take a book with me to doctor's offices and any time I know I have to pick someone up at a specified time because 90% of the time the person is late.

Maureen McGowan said...

Glad he's okay! And wasn't Ex and the Single Girl great?

Maria Geraci said...

Hi, Maureen! Thanks for the well wishes. And yes, Ex and the Single Girl was a great read. I'm definitely going to pick up more of her books!

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara