Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Maria hears the clock tick...


For a couple of weeks now I've been struggling (procrastinating) with this little Suessical book I volunteered to write to benefit my daughter's high school drama organization. In case you're not familiar with Suessical! it's a wonderful musical based on the books of Dr. Suess. Mostly "Horton hears a Who!" but there are other Suess characters thrown in for good measure, like the Cat in the Hat, and the Grinch, and Gertrude McFuzz, and so on. My youngest daughter is heavily involved in musical theater and she played Gertrude (the bird with the one feather tail) in her high school's production of the show a couple of weeks ago. She was awesome. The whole production was. It was definitely a proud parent moment:) My parents came up to see the show and they were completely awed!


Lest you think this should be a piece of cake, let me assure you, it's not. I have a totally brand new respect for Dr. Suess. Do you know how hard it is to write in rhyme??

On the seventh of April, in her desk in Tallahassee,
Maria discovered she wasn't so sassy...

I'll get it done! I promise, said she,
Nothing will stop me, not elephant nor flea...

11 comments:

Louisa Edwards said...

Rhyming is very hard. I can't believe you took this on!

Kristen Painter said...

What Louisa said. I can't believe what hard work this must have been. GO you!

Maria Geraci said...

It was vanity. I swear, I'm been so humbled by this project!

Kwana said...

Congratulations. What a tough job. You are amazing. And congrats to your beautiful daughter. So cute.

Maria Geraci said...

Don't congratulate me yet, Kwana! I'm still not done on the piece. But I do concur that Megan looked fabulous!

Maureen McGowan said...

Good luck Maria!

To rhyme every line under the sun,
Some people find it quite fun.

But a challenge it is
Glad Maria's a whiz

She'll do it and add a few puns.

Maria Geraci said...

Um, Maureen? It sounds to me like you're a natural at this!

Tanashia said...

Funny! Would love to read it when your done.

Marilyn Brant said...

LOL, Maria! I know it has to seem overwhelming to be in the midst of this huge project, but I'll bet you're doing a wonderful job with it :). How far into it have you gotten??

Maria Geraci said...

Hi Marilyn!
I'm ashamed to admit that I'm only about a 1/4 of the way through. I plan to clean house today and write a stanza in between rooms. We'll see how that goes;)

Jax Cassidy said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll make it fabulous. I don't know if I can write rhyming text....I'll leave it to you :)

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara