Saturday, May 15, 2010

Best Acceptance Speech ever



Has it really been 15 years since Emma Thompson's fabulous Golden Globe acceptance speech for her screenplay adaption of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility? I remember watching this on t.v. and thinking "I want to be Emma Thompson!" Or at least, as clever as Emma Thompson.

Today is the monthly meeting of the Florida Panhandle Romance Writers and I'll be leading an interactive dialogue workshop, so in preparation I've been thinking a lot about dialogue. It made me dig up this awesome little gem of a speech. It's absolutely perfect.

4 comments:

Gina Black said...

Can you believe it, I never saw that before. I'm so glad you put it up!

Maria Geraci said...

Gina, even after all these years, I still use Emma's speech as a yardstick to measure other Hollywood acceptance speeches. It's just so clever!

Marilyn Brant said...

Oh, Maria! I've never seen this--thank you SO much for posting! I already loved Emma Thompson's work but, wow, this was especially brilliant... :)

Maria Geraci said...

I think Emma Thompson did such an outstanding job with the S&S screenplay. It was just as good or better than the book, which is saying something!

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara