Friday, May 21, 2010

Social networking 101

In my day (yeah, I know...) social networking meant talking to someone. As in face-to-face. Or picking up the phone and calling them. I remember the first time I heard the phrase, just like the first time I heard the phrase foodie which left me kind of clueless until someone filled me in (as in social networked with me). So a foodie is someone who likes to eat? Yeah, count me in. Of course the term means a little more than that, but you catch my drift.

So everyone is doing it these days (get your mind out of the gutter I'm still talking about social networking) and it seems that each day, I hear about more ways to network. There's websites of course, and blogging, and Facebook (which I love a little too much, I think), Twitter, Tumblr, and lots of others.

As an author, it's also a great way to hook up with people who are interested in your work. I have a Facebook account that I started when I wanted to connect with old friends and it's awesome. I love seeing my friend's kids' prom pictures and the anniversary trip to Hawaii, etc... but I started getting a lot of requests from people I don't know, people who want to connect with me as a writer. So I saw the wisdom in starting a Fan page, where people can "like" me. It's so Sally Field-ish of me, but I have to admit to really digging that term. I've also tried Twittering, and while I do enjoy it on occasion, it's brevity leaves me cold and I hate the "am clipping my toenails" kind of twitters.

So apparently, there's a new social network website out there called Woof! (he he) If you're an Office fan (or even if you're not) check it out.

I'm now off to do some commercial networking at Target...


No comments:

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara