Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My summer project: I'm going to make a Book Trailer

Never mind that my techno knowledge borders on the ridiculously inept. Hey, 8 years ago while driving in my car I decided I was going to write a book. It wasn't easy, and my first attempts were awful. I mean really really awful (Just ask my first crit partners). But I had an intense drive and once I found my niche and my voice, got really lucky and got an agent, everything fell into place. So if I can write a book and get published I can make a 60 second book trailer. Right? I am woman. Hear me roar.

What made me decide to do a trailer? First off, I'm an extremely visual person. There's nothing like actually seeing something with your own two eyes to drive home a point, which makes book trailers a great marketing tool to hook someone like me. I've bought books that I never thought I'd be interested in after watching a trailer. Plus, I had a trailer for my first book Bunco Babes Tell All and I think it helped generate some good buzz. Thank you Gena Showalter and Jill Monroe!

Now, since my marketing budget is extremely tight, I'll be making this little gem on a shoestring budget. Like as close to free as possible. And since I have no idea where to start I'll be surfing the Internet for help trying to get an idea of what works and what doesn't. Check out Whitney Moore's blog Book Trailers Love or Hate? I agree with what she says. A book trailer should not be a movie trailer. It shouldn't strip the reader of their imagination.

Stay tuned as I fumble my way through the creation and production of what I hope will be an awesome trailer that will have readers salivating to read my upcoming December release, The Boyfriend of the Month Club.

And in case you missed it, here's the trailer for my first book.

3 comments:

Lucy said...

The best book trailer I've ever seen was done by Jessica Brody for her first book, The Fidelity Files. It was done like a movie trailer and totally sold me on the book - and the book lived up to the trailer. No, the characters in the trailer did not look like what I imagined as I read the story but it didn't take away from anything for me. In fact, I really want to see a movie of the book, with the actors used in the trailer!

In any event, I know you'll come up with a great trailer for your book. :o)

Kwana said...

This is so much fun and good luck with your book trailer.

Maria Geraci said...

Thanks L and Kwana! I've already done a rough draft of the storyline and put it to music. Of course, it's too long and quess what? Yep, gotta edit!

 

Blog Design by Author Web Designs By Tara